Tuesday, October 18, 2011

{advice}

today is a good day for some advice, and it just so happens that i even have a bit of that for you.
aren't you glad we're friends?

preface:

i'm a possibilities-sorter. if given an opportunity, my brain does this thing where it goes all computer on me and sorts through dozens of possible outcomes and things that could go wrong and things that could go right and how hard it could be and if it'll be embarrassing or time consuming and so on and then it weighs it all on some invisible mental scale and before i can even factor in if i want to do said thing, it spits out a quick, maybe inaccurate computation. and i end up saying no to a lot of opportunities.

that's lame.

so last month, i came across some opportunities that i'd normally compute myself out of even considering. and then i smoked myself upside my silly head and decided to skip the evaluations and the considerations and just say yes.

not that i'm telling you to recklessly run around doing everything; that is neither healthy nor smart.

i'm saying that you should not do nothing.

enter a contest. an art contest, a photography contest, a writing contest. take on a challenge. try something else. buy some watercolours. put it out there. don't be offended if it's not recognized or if it doesn't win or if no one likes it.

it's okay, because the sweetness of it isn't in that part anyway.

i entered imogen heap's cd cover art contest a bit ago. she'd given a word, and wanted a picture that captured the word. and i don't have a high-class camera or very much picture-taking knowledge at all, but i entered anyway, and i spent a really sweet hour or two wandering around my neighbourhood trying to find the word in back alleys and parks and city streets.

i didn't win, but i don't even care at all.

before that, i got a couple emails offering money for artwork. my brain computed, "no, because then you'd have to do a really good job and you're not good enough to charge money for this stuff and--" and other stuff that brains say when they're being debbie downers.

so the next time i got one of those emails, this time asking for a blog design, i made myself say yes.
and it was fun!
and i made a new friend out of it.

{click on the screen shot to go say hi to merritt, who is completely fantastic.}


so, i don't know. yeah. this is part shameless promotion {i'll doodle all over your blog if you want, or wherever else you'd want doodling}, part advice {you should not do nothing}, and part excitement {endless opportunities!} for future fun things.

16 comments:

Brandi said...

That is wonderful advise. More often the not I am too afraid to do something and I feel like I am missing out. And here is some advise for you (this is advise that my grandma gave me) always wear clean underwear :)

Little Tree Vintage said...

you're very talented! don't doubt yourself, ever!!

Anonymous said...

This is some good advice! I get excited about opportunities very easily, then I start thinking and most of times I don't do anything. arg. Must change that.
I visited the blog and I really like your work!

Juliette

Sarah Rooftops said...

I love this post! I'm not BAD at giving things a go regardless, but I do find the more I just do things for the sake of it, the quieter the voice of doubt in my head becomes. :)

sarahannnoel said...

Lovely advice and you are magnificent and I'm glad you did not say no to me.

Anonymous said...

what a sweet post. I'd totally have you design my blog!

Suzy Krause said...

you guys are sweet munchkins.

Amy @ AGirlCalledBeloved said...

I loved your advice Suzy!
And this design is brilliant! I love that she chose it from Benny and Joon! SUCH A GOOD MOVIE!
I always thought you would be stellar and blog designs. So pretty!

Jen Glen said...

That is so funny b/c we have a big whiteboard on the back of our new computer desk that is just sitting there, and I did think, "I should get Suzy to come over and doodle around the edges and make it look pretty!" Howz that for anywhere?!

The Magnificent Lou said...

Yahoo! I am so happy you took the plunge & said yes. I'm still melty over how beautiful my blog looks.

I was nervous about e-mailing a "stranger" and asking them to design my layout and here we are. We both did things that things that make our brains cloudy with doubt and it turned out perfectly.

Suzy = best blog designer ever.

Suzy Marie said...

You are so right. I entered a writing competition last week for the first time ever because my brain was having a rare "go for it" type moment.

But I'm so glad I did because even though I'm unlikely to win I've had such nice feedback and it's made me want to do it again. Which is obviously great.

So yes, your advice is good advice. Congratulations on getting rid of the debbie downers and starting blog designing and making new friends :)

Celeste said...

AHH!

1. My brain is the same.
2. I might be getting in touch with you about a blog header... would you at all be interested in chatting about it?

Suzy Krause said...

celeste! yes! email me. i'd love that. :D

Jamie said...

I love this! =] Very excellent advice. Your new header is beautiful, by the way! I acutally have been writing this on going story in my head and I've always imagined that if I tried to go anywhere with it, I would ask you to be my illustrator! =]

Suzy Krause said...

aw, thanks jamie. :D you're sweet.

nova said...

WHAT I needed to hear this RIGHT NOW! Thank you!