Monday, October 03, 2011

{the plan and the moral}

the plan was to pack our bags, head to the airport, and get on a cheap flight. we decided it at 2 pm saturday afternoon. we packed a backpack with a change of clothes and a book of sudokus and our toothbrushes and some of that travel-sized toothpaste. we were ready in under an hour to go anywhere. the problem was that the cheapest flight was over 400 bucks per person one way. and that wasn't even to go anywhere good. i wanted to throw my travel-sized toothpaste at the airplane as it soared across the sky on its way away without me.

this is the problem with airplanes. i want to go everywhere but i can't go anywhere if airplanes are going to be so ridiculous about it.

but the point is not that.


the point is that two years ago, roughly, i put on my mom's wedding dress and trucked it down the aisle towards barclay. so this week was our anniversary, right, and we wanted to go somewhere and explore.

we ended up driving around out of town a bit and exploring a local attraction neither of us had ever explored before and splitting a chocolate peanut butter banana milkshake and watching dead poets society in a fort in the living room.


and it was really nice. good. great!
fantastic, even.


and the moral of the weekend i guess is that it's a good thing to learn to have fun where you are, because you won't always be where you wish you were.

because airplanes are stupid.

14 comments:

Chantelle said...

Just when I think you can't possibly get any cuter... you go and build a fort in the living room with your hubkins. Love it!

Jillian said...

I have always wanted to do that as well. Unfortunately we always need to have a plan because of our little munchkin. It looks like you made the occasion fun anyway. Happy Anniversary!

Sarah Rooftops said...

Aw, this is lovely - who needs unusual surroundings to appreciate what they've got?

Amy @ AGirlCalledBeloved said...

I feel you on the airplane prob. We've been wanting to visit Seattle for two years now, but it's just not possible.

I think you guys picked the best alternative though! I love Dead Poets Society! Such a good flic!

Happy Anniversary to you both!!

larisaa said...

what the heck!? 400!!! yikes! i've always wanted to do that, but maybe an impromptu road trip would be better? your dress is gorgeous and it's so neat that it's your moms! how special. happy anniversary pretty girl!

Anonymous said...

gorgeouuuuus dress!

nova said...

That's it, I'm going to force Ryan to make a blanket fort with me!

Celeste said...

You said it, girl. I hope the US eventually gets something similar to Europe's Ryanair or EasyJet.

Happy Anniversary! I'm glad you were able to spend it with lots of love and time together :)

Jessica Lynn said...

How cute is this post. You and your hubby are absolutely adorable. And guess what guess what!?!?! I finally posted again on mymoopoint!!!

LOL.

Jamie said...

Happy anniversary, Suzy! I wish it was less expensive to just be able to pack up and go. I can only imagine that the world would be such a happier place if everyone could go everywhere! =]

I think the way you celebrated was beautiful and fun nonetheless! <3

Brandi said...

I can't think of a better way to spend the day with someone you love and I am going to make my own fort this weekend.

Emily said...

What a lovely way to celebrate love. Happy anniversary!

Jen Glen said...

I have your anniversary on my calendar and still managed to forget to say "Happy Anniversary!" How about the train? I found out that VIARail has these deals, I think they're called Express Deals?? If you don't mind going somewhere a little bit close (like Winnipeg) and driving up to S'toon to catch the train, you can go from S'toon to Peg for $40. You should check them out. I think it would be cool to go on the train - I've never been.

Suzy Krause said...

jen: the problem with the train is that it leaves saskatoon at like 6 on saturday i think. and it takes quite a while to get to winnipeg...so by the time we got there, we'd just have to come right back! no dice.
ohhh well.

larissa: road trips are great too--but we didn't have enough time to actually get anywhere. so. haha, we'll have to plan ahead better next time!

thanks everyone for the anniversary wishes. :D