Thursday, January 05, 2012

{my corner office}

i remember the first time i saw this place. we were supposed to meet our real estate agent here at 2 in the afternoon, or something like that, and we were five minutes early. however, by the time we arrived, our agent was already on her way out the front door, grimacing and shaking her head.

"i'm sure this isn't what you're looking for," she said. "it's 480 square feet, and there isn't even a dining room. plus, everything is purple."

to make a short story even shorter, we peeked inside anyway, fell in love, and bought the place. i mean, how many square feet do newlyweds need anyways?

but the point is not that.

the point is that that was almost three years ago now, and i swear: the longer we live here, the bigger this place gets. it's not magic, it's getting used to a small space and learning how to use every single one of those 480 square feet the best possible way. example: my new office. when we first moved in, we turned the one bedroom into a dining room and fixed up the basement so that it could be a massive master bedroom. this fall, the dining room got split in half, and my grandma's vanity became my desk. voila! a wee office in the corner of the dining room. because guess what: we don't all live in mansions with spare bedrooms and pools. did you know that?

{click on pictures to make them BIGGER.}

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I love it. I love turning old pieces of meaningful furnisher into something you use daily. For example, I own and still use my grandparent's first bedroom set that they owned as a couple. I don't use the head board or footer anymore, just the dresser drawers.

Back to your little space.

I love it. Especially the pin board of the world, it's perfect. Also the cards/paper all pined up on the line gives it a lovely colorful touch. Too cute.

erin e flynn said...

what a cute little office! i'd love to see more of your house! i thought my place was small at 740 square feet! i was rolling my eyes the other day at a blogger who turned a spare bedroom (with a closet) into a closet--do people really need that much?!

Alice Jones said...

It's gorgeous! So jealous, I cannot wait to own my own place. Even if it's a single room apartment to be honest. Or at least find a rental that lets me paint all the walls.

nova said...

Very cool! You even have a chandelier!

Anonymous said...

I love how you've decorated the space :)

Anonymous said...

what an inspiring space! love that earth corkboard too

Sarah Rooftops said...

Ah, I love it!

Carmen said...

So quaint and lovable! Well done. I had no idea a metal file cabinet could be cute.

Caitlin said...

I love it! I love seeing how people make creative use of small spaces. I'd love to see your basement bedroom!

Kayla said...

We usually don't need more space, we just need to let ourselves enjoy the space we have. For some people that requires redefining what you want. I drool over the snippets of your house I see in backgrounds of photos and stuff. Any place can be a home.

Unknown said...

I love your office...I live in a rather small {I like to call it cosy} flat and I fought liking it for ages...but now I am a little bit in love with it and wouldn't change a thing...well maybe a dresser...and another wardrobe...and if the landlord would re-fit a new bathroom I wouldn't complain but apart from that lol...

Anonymous said...

That is SO freakin cute! Hopefully I get to see it in FEBRUARY!!!! (if everything works out)

sarahannnoel said...

That's how I feel! Our house is pretty tiny (as far as Midwest American house go, I guess) but I love it. I love that I have to get creative to store things and that I don't just accumulate STUFF simply because I have the space. And I love that I can hear where everyone is in the house and that Iris can crawl from one end to the other in ten seconds. It's cozy, cozy.

And what do realtors know? Our realtor's mind would be blown if she saw our house now. hahahahaha.

Yay! Talk to you soon!

Amy @ AGirlCalledBeloved said...

Love this room! You made it look so cozy and inviting. What a fun place to get creative!

Liz said...

ACK! It's awesome!
Square feet, squmuaire feet. Or something like that..

Kiersten said...

Suz! It's so cute! I love it!