Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Face Mask Night

Tuesday night is face mask night.

I put Sullivan to bed, stir together baking soda, cream, and honey, and walk around the house looking like Death or one of his pale, ghostly relatives. Sometimes I add lemon juice. Sometimes I add cocoa. Sometimes I close my eyes and grab something out of the fridge.

The Rule, which I learned after a few minutes of Pinterest-searching "best DIY face mask ever", is that you can pretty much put anything on your face and call it a face mask. Maybe not ketchup or, you know, laundry soap, but I mean, just don't be stupid. Your skin likes food, is the bottom line. (Also, your skin is kind of a like a 9 month old baby who you have to puree everything for.)

Anyway, it's one of those little things that has become a normal thing and is also a big thing - little in that it literally takes 30 seconds to mix up and smear on my face (I leave it on for a whole hour while I do my other normal Tuesday night stuff and it feels amazing the whole time). Normal in that I don't think I've missed a face mask night since I started. And big in that it's something to look forward to (is that dorky?) every week. I've found that it has a drastic effect on my overall, you know, 'psyche', to sprinkle little Things like this throughout the calendar weeks. Things to anticipate and appreciate, but which aren't bank breakers or time wasters. They're so stealthy and un-monunental that I might be the only one who even notices them, but that's part of their goodness. They're only for me anyway.

If you have a Thing that you do every week or every day or every once in a while that is fast and cheap but also pretty wonderful, you should tell me about it so I can maybe add it to the little list I have going. My Thing list. 

11 comments:

Sarah M said...

Oh, good idea! I use weekly routines to get boring chores done - it's Tuesday so time to bung the towels in the wash etc - but I don't have any weekly treats. Will have to have a think...

Anonymous said...

I sometimes treat myself to very fancy breakfasts during the week. for no apparent reason and when it's only me. with pancakes and hard-boiled eggs and whatever else happens to be available. sometimes even with a glass of wine or prosecco. feels very decadent and oh-so-good.

Mrs. Wilson said...

Do you find it makes a difference in your skin? If so, what does it do? Or is it just relaxing?

Phoebe said...

A tiny bowl of chocolate chips, a glass of milk and a book or tv show for 30 min after the baby goes down. I resist cleaning or trying to get things done and just sit. Sometimes it's hard to get back up and do what needs to get done before heading to bed, but the joy I get out of it makes it so worth it! Hmm maybe I'll add a face mask night to my week... We have plenty of pureed food that the kid is not interested in anymore. I wonder if skin likes sweet potatoes?

Suzy Krause said...

chore routines are good to have, but you need a few treats in there too. definitely.

Suzy Krause said...

that's a really good idea. fancy breakfasts are definitely one of my favourite things but for some reason I always feel like I need to save them for Saturdays?

Suzy Krause said...

yes! i mean. it could be a placebo thing, but i find it just generally makes my face nicer. less acne, more glow. you know. ;) it still feels really nice and soft the next morning when i wake up. which is always good.

Suzy Krause said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suzy Krause said...

i do a tiny bowl of chocolate chips too!!! that's the best snack. love it.

and, i mean, i've never heard specifically that skin likes sweet potatoes, but i imagine it wouldn't feel bad to put them on your face? you should conduct an experiment, a thirty day sweet potato face mask regimen, and let me know what the results are. i'm very interested to know.

Anonymous said...

This is such a good idea and it totally makes me think of Mrs Doubtfire when she's got lemon meringue on her face haha. Love the idea of having a treat night, Tuesdays are my least favourite days so it makes sense to have something fabulous to do after work!

Suzy Krause said...

hahaha i haven't seen that movie in at LEAST a decade. (whoa.)

But yes, do it and let me know how it is. i mean, i know how it is, but let me know how you think it is. ;)