Thursday, July 21, 2011

{SCHMALTZ DAY: my first apartment}

this morning finds me listening to emo pop punk from the nineties and early thousands and painting with nail polish. i've said it before, i'll say it again, and probably once more later: music is a time machine.

i'm back in my very first apartment; a tiny, two bedroom shoebox of an apartment on 9th and lansdowne. i live there with four other girls and we're all debt collectors. we drive to and from work together and talk about all of the death-threats we've received over the course of the day. i've made six friends at work, so that's good.

i live off of kraft dinner and sidekicks and i spend copious amounts of time on my air mattress in my shared bedroom writing stuff and listening to thrice, motion city soundtrack, and bright eyes. we don't have the internet. we don't have cable. we don't have much furniture. we don't close the windows at night, and i use them to come and go, as i don't have a key.

i have a friend whose boyfriend is friends with a girl whose friend owns a venue that brings in decent bands, and we spend most of our nights seeing shows there and then wandering around all over across bridges and through parks and down darkened streets. we don't cause trouble; we just like exploring.

i get home at 4:30 am sometimes, and leave for work at 5 am all of the times, but i'm never tired because i take a power nap when i get home from work at 2, while my roommates watch movies i don't care about.

i'm actually quite inconsiderate and loud and obnoxious, but i think i'm fine, and i think everybody else is inconsiderate and loud and obnoxious.

the future freaks me out.

17 comments:

sarahannnoel said...

No I am thinking of my first apartment...I don't think we were that fun.

Suzy Krause said...

hahaha it's fun to think about though...right?

Chess said...

Soon as I saw the sketch, I was all humming and on fire and rockin' steady. And I kinda miss my first apartment. I was way fun back then.

Suzy Krause said...

i know hey? SUCH a catchy song.
and i know what you mean...i fear i am getting more and more unfun as the days go by...

RIPplePuddle said...

I find this post oddly comforting.
Perhaps there is flip side of this perspective somewhere down the road
after your future chillrens are all grow'd up
and you and the husband are living on a beach
in santa lucia
wondering what fish is being caught off the coast?
If you're still bloggin'
I'm still readin'.
Or dead:)

Suzy Krause said...

i'm so happy that i'll be living on a beach in santa lucia!! thank you for bearing such glad tidings.

Jamie said...

Motion City and Bright Eyes were musical staples for me in high school. I still have a deep love for Bright Eyes and Conor Oberst will forever have my heart...haha.

I love all the unique things about each individual's life that makes them who they are. I think your first apartment sounds pretty awesome. =]

Suzy Krause said...

oh yeah--conor oberst's lyrics are just insane. plus his voice. yikes. i saw him live that summer. gooood times. :)

anna said...

you are seriously one of the most lovely and hip people i've ever... read. ha.
i love how you spin stories about the past, future and persent and all of your artwork.
you are magnificent!!

my first apartment was ghetto and lovely and horrible all rolled into one.

Suzy Krause said...

aw anna! you are so nice to me. :)
you should write about your first apartment. i love hearing those stories...

Kara said...

wow............thrice! this took me wayyyyy back :) in a good way!

Suzy Krause said...

hahaha, and i still listen to thrice--it's just that back then it was the older, artist in the ambulance thrice, not this newer dustin kensrue has a country band on the side thrice... :)

Elly said...

The future fucks me out, too.

Anonymous said...

suzy, this makes me happy and curious as to what memories i will have about my past when im older. your first apartment sounds simple, yet wonderful and i can totally see you writing, going to shows and sneaking in and out of the window, keep up the inspiring blogs, ill keep reading.

Suzy Krause said...

aw, thanks chantelle! i wish i'd been blogging back when i lived in that apartment...i had such crazy stories and i keep remembering bits and pieces and wishing i'd written them down right away...

nova said...

I was a window-for-a-door person for a while there too. Also? A homeless hippie with dreadlocks who lived in a truck with a man and a cat.

Sometimes I look back on my past selves and have a hard time believing it was me. I don't know how some people can stay the same throughout their entire lives.

Suzy Krause said...

i know hey?? i think i change so much in a year that every so often i'll wake up and i'm a different person entirely.
it's what makes reminiscing so much fun!