Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Bread, Thora Birch, and a Book Announcement

After the train wreck that was last week, I was going to sit down just now and write that this week has been better. But then I began to write about my morning and realized that it's just last week all over again. Hold me.

I was baking bread, see, and realized halfway through, right around the crucial no-turning-back point, that I didn't have any yeast in the fridge. I'd been so proud of myself for getting right to it so bright and early - I thought I'd have it finished by nap time - and now I'd have to run to the grocery store and set myself back. Sullivan and I were still in our PJs and hadn't had breakfast yet, so there was a lot of pants-putting-on and missing-other-shoe-locating that isn't usually a part of my bread making routine.

We made it out the door in record time, though, and guess what happened when I got to the cash register with my yeast?

I will tell you; it seems relevant: I opened my wallet and found an empty slot where my debit card should have been. In case you missed my last blog post, let me fill you in on the significance of this: I just got a new debit card last Thursday. I lost my last one last week. Into thin air. Poof. Smoke. Magic. Rabbits.

I stared at the cashier like an idiot for a few moments, and then said, in this really sad, really small voice, "I don't know where my money is."

And she said, "Okay."

And I said, "That's the kind of week it's been." There was a Canadian journalist who used to say that (or something like it) at the end of every news broadcast. I always hear his voice when it comes out of my mouth.

She shrugged at me, and I realized I shouldn't say stuff like this to cashiers. They can't do anything for me, probably just want me to be a grownup and take care of my stuff like grownups [supposedly] do. Probably just want me to pay or get out of the way.

Gasp, I thought. Am I turning into an oversharer? The woman in public who goes up to other women in public and empties her heart out, like a bucket, on the floor in front of them? Who thinks strangers actually want to know how you are when they ask how you are?

So I got out of the way. I offered to put my yeast back and she smiled kindly and said she didn't have much else to do (the store was dead; it was, as previously established, early in the morning). That was nice of her. I picked Sullivan up and made my way back to my car, wondering what to do next.

He was confused. We'd come to the store for yeast, picked out the yeast, brought the yeast to the cash register, and were now leaving without the yeast. "Mom? Where's the yeast?"

I sighed. "I can't find my debit card, so we can't buy anything right now."

He grinned at me. "Debit card." It was not an unknowing grin. He was implicating himself.

I set him down on the ground by the flowers at the store entrance. I held his little hands and studied his little face. "Sully. Do you have my debit card?"

"Yeah. I do."

Sully's little still; when he says, "yeah," it could really mean either yes or no. He doesn't always understand the question. But when he tacks an "I do," on the end, it means he knows what I mean and he means what he said. I searched his person.

Imagine my relief upon discovering my lost debit card in his jacket pocket!
Imagine my distress upon discovering that I'm raising a pickpocket!

I immediately thought of one of my favourite childhood movies, Monkey Trouble, starring Thora Birch. She adopts this monkey who was trained by a con man to pickpocket...anyway. It's not important. It's barely relevant.

Thora Birch was my fave back then though. You should know that about me.

(While I was writing this, I remembered that my bread was in the oven, and that I'd forgotten to set a timer. I'm beginning to suspect that part of my brain has actually shut down.)

This blog post is out of control. I'm just now going to get to the actual point, which has nothing whatsoever to do with bread or Thora Birch.

I wanted to tell you about something that has taken up most of my free time this spring: I've been co-writing a book with my lovely friends over at Coffee+Crumbs! It's all come about pretty fast: last November (I think?), we got an email from Harper Collins wondering if we wanted to write a book, and we said yeah, and they said ok, and so we did. It's a book of essays about motherhood, and it's really quite beautiful (to read but also to look at). Ashlee handed in the manuscript yesterday and it's due in bookstores next April, which feels like a very long time from now.

Ashlee wrote a much better, more thorough, book announcement here.

I may never be 90's-era Thora Birch, but I will be a published writer, and that, I think, is also good and fun.

25 comments:

Marisa said...

I can totally relate to the lost debit card situation. So much, in fact, that now every single time I stand in line to pay for something, I always check to make sure I have money on me. Congratulations on the book!!! That's so very exciting!!

Sarah M said...

I'd have been in tears at that counter. I want to cry just imagining it.

BUT!!!!!! Wow!!!!!!!!!!!! That's fantastic! Well done! I'd like my copy signed!

Emily said...

I love, love, love everything about this!

Except for the lost debit card part. But the found debit card wouldn't have been so great if it wasn't lost, so maybe even the lost debit card part. You had me cracking up very loudly in Target this afternoon... So when I say I love everything about this, I mean the writing, which I am SO EXCITED to hear will be in a book, especially this book.

Unknown said...

Congratulations! What a wonderful accomplishment, to be a published writer!

Jannaya said...

HOORAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!! Thanks for sharing this exciting news, Suzy! Can't wait to read it!

Anonymous said...

great news. aside from that it sounds just like my past week(s) xo

nova said...

What!!!! People don't just get an email from a publisher every day, that's FANTASTIC! Wow.

Suzy Krause said...

I need to start doing that - there is nothing more embarrassing than finding out you've lost your card AT THE CASH REGISTER. I'm so thankful I didn't have a huge load of groceries. Ugh.
And thank you! It is!

Suzy Krause said...

I was pretty dang close. Hahaha. Agh.

BUT!!!! I will write all over your book if you'll come to Canada and visit me. I promise. Hahaha.

Suzy Krause said...

Aw, thank you, Emily!

I was thinking about our coffee date in New York the other day. What a nice afternoon. We should do that again.

Suzy Krause said...

Thank you so much! I'm really excited. It's a dream come true for sure. :)

Holly Knitlightly said...

Okay, so I was absolutely loving this blog post... then it got EVEN BETTER. AHH!!!!!!!! YAYAYAYAY!!! That's so freaking exciting!!! I'm so happy for ya, Suzy!

Suzy Krause said...

You are so sweet. I think I said that already to you this week. Oh well.

Suzy Krause said...

Ugh, I'm really sorry. It's such an awful headspace to be in. I can laugh about it, but only in writing. Haha. :)

Suzy Krause said...

Yeah! Really exciting times. Thumbs up.

Suzy Krause said...

Aw! Thanks so much, Holly. :)

I'm looking at the commenters on this post and I only know one of them in real life; the rest of you are internet friends. That's kind of cool, isn't it? To have a bunch of people you'd probably otherwise never have met cheering you on and encouraging you. Cool. Thanks.

Jen Glen said...

A published author...that's been a dream and bucket list for me since I was a kid and writing "books" daily...they never seemed to get finished though...that's definitely still me. But yours is actually really happening!!! My only question is: Are you going to be Suzy Krause or Eleana(Elena?) Krause?

Cheryl said...

Oh, Sully. If it makes you feel any better my sis once lost her debit card twice in one week. No tiny pickpockets involved (far as we know). Congrats on the book, Suzy! I still can't wait for your novel :)

Suzy Krause said...

I actually haven't decided yet! Haha...it's been an ongoing conversation around here. I've been contemplating legally changing my name to Suzy, in which case, I would just be Suzy. But that seems like a lot of work and hassle. But having two names is also a lot of work and hassle. And I've already done all this writing as Suzy... Sighhhhhh.

Suzy Krause said...

Hahahaha ugh. The worst!!
And thank you so much. You're so encouraging!

Michelle said...

Congratulations!! You're such a great writer, and I'll buy the book just because you're in it.

Suzy Krause said...

Aw! Thank you so much for saying that. You are so sweet. :)

Katie Leipprandt said...

Oh my gosh YAY! I found you through Coffee+Crumbs and subscribed because I think you are hil-ar. I'm so excited about the book, well done y'all!!

Suzy Krause said...

Thank you so much, Katie!! I appreciate this. I'm off to check out your blog too. :)

Ann Ehnert said...

Great news about the book! Love coffee+crumbs so I just can't wait to see this get published. Also, Thora Birch - YES. Now & Then forever.