Friday, July 20, 2012

{fish and tea and graffiti and me}

once a week, there's a free show downtown on the plaza. live music is one of those fish in the deep part of the ocean that lure other, littler fish in with the little lights on their antennae. i am one of the other, littler fish, and i'm ok with it. i'm all like, "YEAH, EAT ME. I'M TASTY." this is a poor metaphor.
anyway, once a week i grab my camera and my iphone, put my headphones in, and walk over. it's a fantastic excuse for a walk, some alone time, and a good dose of vitamin d. the trip takes me through the cathedral village, past the shops and fruit stands and the guy riding to work on his unicycle and that usual funny little crowd always sprawled out in lawn chairs in front of roca jack's, across vic park, and past the noon-hour salsa class that meets in front of the first tower.
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket sometimes after the show, if my feet aren't too blistered and the sun isn't too harsh, i wander through the buildings and try to find good buskers and then i drop by david's tea for a cold drink. because it's only a dollar if you have a david's tea mug, and who do you think is loyal enough to own one of those? me. {thanks jewelia.}Photobucket Photobucket and then it's off back through the park and through the village and home. they just repainted the village walls too, which yesterday instigated daydreaming and excessive wandering, so my 25 minute walk back ended up taking an hour instead. sometimes, it's like my brain shuts off and my, you know, my other brain takes over. the one in charge of acting like my seven year old self who didn't know how to get to my own house because i was so lost in thought all the time. in my defence, the colour-saturated walls are just so dang fascinating. which leads me to my conclusion: every building in every city needs a painting on it. Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

8 comments:

Something Infinitely Interesting said...

awsome pictures

suzy said...

I agree! Some wall paintings have been cropping up where I live and I love them! They make everything look so interesting and, well, finished. It's like the cherry on the cake.

Nova said...

I think every building needs paintings on them too. Why not? Why are city officials such wangs about that?

Emily said...

I saw you tweet about this (if I remember correctly) and I was all, like, "I'll come, I'll come!" although I don't think I ever actually responded (I should have). Now, I would really love to join! I love live music and building wall murals and that ice tea looks so refreshing. I wish I lived closer!

Suzy Krause said...

emily: you should always respond. ;) and you should really come hang out. i'll show you the neighborhood and take you to a show!

suzy: it IS. it really is. though, i never actually have cherries on my cake in real life. is that a your-side-of-the-world thing?

Nova said...

Not unsettled. For the record.

suzy said...

The only cake I have a cherry on is a bakewell, and that's part of the bakewell design haha. So it's a rather silly phrase isn't it really!

JTay said...

Except that some murals are annoyingly bad. Like the green landscape one on Broad Street. Or the one in Moose Jaw where the people's heads are too small for their bodies. Can we say every building needs a good or interesting painting on it? :)