Friday, September 21, 2012

{archives}

sometimes, i open up my own blog page, click on the archives button, and see what i wrote exactly one year ago. you know, to check if i've grown up.


for example, this is what i wrote one year ago today:

"i saw my next-door neighbour taking a walk the other day and it was weird for me because i'd never seen her outside of her yard. i didn't know she ever left her yard. i wondered if she had been kidnapped and was just returning to her yard, frazzled and shocked at the concept of there being world outside of her yard.

but then barclay got all voice-of-reasony and assured me that our neighbour is a real human lady and needs to leave her yard sometimes. it was still weird for me, though."



two years ago, i wrote about disassembling my light fixture to make earrings out of it. {here


and three years ago tomorrow, i wrote this: 

"i got a black eye at work on friday.
dallas hit me in the face with a ball, so i, the quick thinker that i am, immediately made a big deal about it even though it didn’t hurt at all and ran to the bathroom. i came to staff meeting later on with a very bruised and swollen-looking eye and cheek, due to the fact that i just so happen to live out of my car and therefore happened to have my make-up case handy for just such occasions as these. a little eyeliner goes a long way.
he felt pretty bad, i think. i helped him to. i prodded my “swollen” eye, which appeared to be glued shut, moaning, “my wedding…my wedding is this weekend…”
ben tried to make me feel better by saying that it was a nice black eye and that he wished he had a black eye like mine. i glared at him spitefully, saying that it was not a nice black eye, that it was going to ruin my wedding pictures.
later that day i washed it off and we all laughed together, happy that my wedding wasn’t ruined and that i wasn’t really actually that much of a cry-baby.
i love love love pulling people’s legs. if i could find some job where someone just paid me to pull legs, literally or figuratively, i’d be there."



i'm going to go ahead and say i've grown up, at least some, which makes me feel both hopeful and sad. 

7 comments:

Brenda C. Boylan said...

So funny! What a great way to look back!

seacreatures said...

so first, i want to say you are totally not a creep and i loved your comment on ma blog!
and ugh, i totally get that! its good to grow up, but i miss those little quirks of being younger.
I love that you've had your blog for so long that you can go back and read through archives. i read old journals a lot. i like that some things don't change, but some things do.
love this post <3
b

MarĂ­a said...

I try to act like a child whenever I can, just to prevent growing up. Sadly, it's not a permanent solution.

<3

larisaa said...

hahaha this is great. i love your blog. i love watching people grow and mature and change and still be themselves but just a little bit different.

ps. taking apart a chandelier to make earrings is about the most legit thing i've ever heard of.

Mama Milly said...

that is so funny - and be forewarned that if you ever come to our house for dinner, one of our kids has this odd habit of sneaking under the table when she is done to squeeze people's toes!! Not pull their legs, but you know, kind of like that! LOL! She just loves the squeal that inevitably follows I think!

BrigittaR said...

i like this idea for blog posts. I might steal it :)

Caitlin said...

I love reading old posts! This inspired me to do the same actually :)