Tuesday, October 23, 2012

{how royal canoe simultaneously wrecked and made my day}

Today was going to be a ridiculously good day. I was going to walk down to the bakery, spend some time in the sun, go for lunch with Kiersten, teach some piano lessons, and then finish off at The Exchange with Royal Canoe.

Obviously, the show was the main thing. Have you heard these guys? They happened in Winnipeg, of all places. I don't even know what genre they are; it's like they've collected the discarded scraps of convention and technique and sound from under the tables of varied hip-hop and indie and pop artists and sewn them seamlessly into their own giant patchwork of an album. They're mad. It's fantastic. Their live show? Anticipated to be the musical highlight of my month. Case in point below: the video that made my day. Watch all the way to the end for goosebumps and just ignore the guys in the balaclavas if you're prone to nightmares. However.

This morning I woke up to snow and the realization that the show was actually scheduled for November 23. Not October 23. And then the further and worse realization that the one in November has been cancelled. I almost crawled back into bed {for a year}. Dear Royal Canoe: Why are you doing this to me? Please change your mind.

As for tonight, I guess I'll just listen to their Extended Play album that I downloaded from Noisetrade {check it out and get it for yourself here} over and over as loud as my iPod will allow and cry into my cereal. And there will be no milk, because it's too cold to run out and get some.

*This post was also published on The Rooster today. Jump over there and read it again?

7 comments:

Mich said...

Sad day. They are awesome and super nice people too! They played the venue I was volunteering at for Sled Island a couple years ago.

buckminster said...

THIS IS ROYAL CANOE SPEAKING. WE WILL COME TO SASKATCHEWAN IN THE NEW YEAR. SORRY WE HAD TO RESCHEDULE. SEE YOU SOON!

Caitlin said...

Aw man, that totally sucks. The name Royal Canoe makes me think of the insult Douche Canoe, which would also be a cool band name. Hopefully you'll get to see them again soon! <3

Anonymous said...

I nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award! Check out my blog for how to recieve it! ;)

xx, Kara

Suzy Krause said...

buckminster: are you really royal canoe? if you are, i'm holding you to the whole coming to saskatchewan thing. liiiiike, january?

mich: i believe it. i will see them one day...

MarĂ­a said...

I hope you don't kill me when I say that... I had never heard of them :(
But I'm definitely going to check them out as soon as I hit the "publish" button!

<3

Anonymous said...

All the best things are from Winnipeg!!
They are freakin fantastic, right!?!?! I know I'm a fan :)

-Crystal