Friday, June 21, 2013

{25}

It was my 26th birthday yesterday.

I'm in my late twenties! This is so weird!

I was saying to my mum-in-law yesterday: What if you only aged on your birthday? Like, what if every 365 days as you celebrated another year gone by you aged all at once--instead of gradually, a little every day? If you woke up, and looked in the mirror, and could see a year's worth of wear? And suddenly, you were {noticeably} a little achier, a little less metabolically quick, a little greyer, a little wiser, a little less flexible...?

She said, with a seriously pondering look on her face, "Hm. Yeah?" Because she's cute and British and would never say outright, "You're ridiculous and think about silly things." I like that about her.

Anyway. I was thinking about it because I was trying to think if I've changed that much since my 25th birthday and almost wish I could just see all the change all at once. It's just too strange to think that I'm constantly morphing into something else, every single second of every single day, without noticing it.

It's like I'm standing in one place watching trees fly by and thinking, "How is this happening? I'm not moving my feet!" And suddenly I'm somewhere else entirely and I'm disoriented and dizzy. But then I realize that nothing around me has changed at all--it was me. And my surroundings only look different because I've changed so much. And I can't do anything to slow it or stop it or reverse it. It's permanent! You can't go back!

I don't know. Birthdays are getting too Twilight Zone for me.

18 comments:

Something Infinitely Interesting said...

Happy late bday!

Magical Daydream said...

I remember as a kid when my little sister turned 1 year; I ran to her crib that morning expecting to see a lot bigger baby than the day before. I was so disappointed when my father explained to me that it didn't work like that.

Unknown said...

I like your description! Age-wise for me that isn't where I'm at, but time-wise and with reflection, you almost have to say, "Holy crap" at the best of times because you can't believe the change, whether it's you or your environment.

Unknown said...

As a person who also just turned 26, I caught myself pondering this too. Everyone asked if I felt older and it made me think...well right now I don't, but.I can't honestly remember what it felt like to be 25. Maybe it was the same or maybe I am incredibly different. Either way, I decided I wouldn't want to age all at once. I figure if I did that I would feel very old and I still like feeling young very much. Happy Birthday.

Bee said...

i wish the same thing sometimes, like it could all happen at once and then i would understand how this whole aging process works?
i wish i were one of those people who was dedicated enough to take a picture of myself everyday for five years. it would be so interesting to watch yourself change.
also HAPPY 26 BIRTHDAY! :)

http://deardearspirit.blogspot.com/

Brenda C. Boylan said...

Happy Birthday! I have a June birthday as well, I love June.

It has never occurred to me to wonder about aging until after I turned 30, it feels as though it is easier to notice aging after that age. For now, relish in the beauty that is change and growth.

Emily said...

Happy Birthday, happy birthday, happy birthday! I hope you had the best of the best of days!

(also, p.s., have you read the short vignette "Eleven" by Sandra Cisneros? it's about birthdays and getting older and i think you might like it. but also, yes, now that you mention it, birthdays are a bit twilight zone-ish. regardless, i hope you had a great one!)

Suzy Krause said...

thanks lots carlisa! :)

Suzy Krause said...

aw! that's so funny!! and cute. your dad probably laughed at you behind your back about that... ;)

Suzy Krause said...

yup--time is WEIRD.

Suzy Krause said...

well hey, happy belated birthday to you back, fellow 26-year-old. and i agree--maybe the gradual aging thing is the best way to go. which is good, since it seems to be the only option...

Suzy Krause said...

i've thought of that too--i'd probably only do it {the picture thing} for like a month and then forget for too long and be like, "welp. that's that."

{and thanks for the birthday wishes!}

{{AND WHAT? a new blog? how did i miss this??}}

Suzy Krause said...

thanks! and happy birthday to you too, fellow junebug! :) june is the best birthday month, hands down. i've always thought so.

Suzy Krause said...

thanks emily! and i will check that out--it sounds like something i'd be into. :)

Unknown said...

Happy birthday (a tad bit late)! I think those are very important thoughts to think and ponder over. It would be interesting if we aged that way, though I don't know if I'd like it.

Erika Hayden said...

Happy Belated Birthday to my favourite blogger! I hope you are enjoying 26 so far!

Suzy Krause said...

for the sake of interest, maybe just one year of aging that way would be cool. and then maybe never again?

Suzy Krause said...

aw garsh! thanks erika! i am. it's groovy.