Monday, June 23, 2014

{27}


I'm 27 now, as of Friday. Barclay's boss threw me a little birthday party at the office and gave me a card with a sheep on it that said, "Get well soon." I walked down to the art street festival with Barclay and visited the art gallery with Julia and Ruth and I got breakfast in bed and cheesecake and ice cream at my in-laws' after supper and I Skyped with my parents and Liz brought me macarons.

I also realized how obsessively I've been talking about that new Tom Hanks movie (Saving Mr. Banks) because I now own two copies of it as well as the anniversary edition of Mary Poppins.

27 feels so strange to me, probably because I'm perpetually stuck at 22 in my mind. I think I will always "be" 22. Even when I'm 98, I will be 22. I will look in the mirror at all of my wrinkles and think, "Dang. I'm wrinkly for a 22 year-old." I will look at my friends and think, "Man alive, I have a lot of elderly friends for such a young bird." I will look at my house and think, "Wait. This isn't my house. Where am I?"

10 comments:

Niken said...

ha! i used to think that i'm stuck at 23 forever in my head. but now i really think it's 24. i just turned 25 and i felt weird about turning 25.

happy birthday, Suzy!
that's so nice of Barclay's boss to threw you a party.

callie said...

Happy birthday, Suzy!! What is it about 22? I continue to think I'm 22 too? I'm about to be 25 and it doesn't make sense because everyone is like "oh wow you're going to be a whole quarter century, are you excited, what are your plans you old lady" and I'm like "hey guys slow down I'm only 22". O.o

Nova said...

I'm 31 and would never want to be 22 again. I think 27-29 were good years. 30 was weird but I'm back to good again...the whole third decade of life thing freaked me out a bit. Although I liked telling people who ID'd me in the liquor store "I'm in my thirties". I now think of anybody from around your age to about 42 as "my age".

Suzy Krause said...

It's so strange isn't it?
Age is strange. Can't handle it!
And thank you!

Suzy Krause said...

Thanks!
And I don't know? It's not like 22 was a mind-blowingly amazing year for me (it wasn't mind-blowingly bad either. It was just good). But I'm just stuck there age-wise. Very strange.

Suzy Krause said...

30 is pretty terrifying to me. But I feel like 31-35 will feel good.

Why is all this? WHAT'S THE SCIENCE?

I also really like how "my age" covers such a wide age gap now. In high school it's like, "Oh, she's a whole year younger. What a baby."

Jen Glen said...

That reminds me of Craig's mom. She always says she feels 18 inside still, but her body sure doesn't feel that way. It's all your perspective. Age is relative. ;)
And I loved that movie too and upon seeing it promptly borrowed the first Mary Poppins book from the library but was very disappointed. I didn't like her at all. I found her very rude and mean to the children. Think I'll stick with the movies!

Suzy Krause said...

haha really??? i thought she was rude to the kids in the movie too. that's what i liked about saving mr banks...it kind of gave a little background as to why she wasn't this chipper, happy-go-lucky woman. it made me like her so much more!

Mama Milly said...

Happy belated birthday!
Olivia always laughs at me when I say that I am just a girl who......whatever, and she says, Mom, you're not a girl - you are a woman, and I say - wait until you are a woman and you will know that you still feel just like a girl! LOL!! Someday I hope to feel like I know stuff and like I can do stuff, and that I am really a grown up! We'll see I guess!
(and because of your love of that movie I ordered it! Just waiting for it to arrive!)

Suzy Krause said...

thank you!
AND I'M SO EXCITED TO HEAR WHAT YOU THINK OF IT IT'S MY FAVOURITE.
and maybe some people, such as you and i, will never grow up.