Friday, January 02, 2015

{revolt or resolve}

So this is what 2015 feels like. 15 years since Y2K. Isn't that something? I feel kind of nostalgic about that ol' bug.

New Year's Eve gets less and less exciting every year. I used to think it was this big deal, that I had to be at the right party with the right people having the time of my life or else the following year would completely suck. (Incidentally, with that much pressure on a single night to set the precedent for an entire year, I was almost always disappointed. I do this to myself in every area of life.)

This year I slept through it. I fell asleep at 11:20 and I woke up at 12:10 to Sullivan screaming. I elbowed Barclay and mumbled, "Happy New Year. I'll get him." 17 year-old me would weep. 17 year-old me would never use the word weep.

Yeah well. 17 year-old me had bad taste in everything and was kind of a brat.

The point is not even that anyway, so whatever. The point is that it is an unspoken rule that every person with a blog shall either write about their New Year's Resolution or write about how much they hate New Year's Resolutions. I feel stuck, since I don't have a resolution but I don't think resolutions are entirely lame, either. I just feel pretty neutral about it. But after sifting through my feed reader this morning and reading everyone else's posts, I feel pressure to either revolt or make one up on the spot. Okay, here goes:

I resolve to 

My New Year's Resolution is to

Every day in 2015, I promise to

Every week in 2015, I will

At least once this year, I'm going to

New Year's resolutions are absolutely the worst idea ever. Like, what, is someone going to hold me to this? Are you going to email me every day and say, "Suzy, have you practiced your bassoon today? Don't do any fun things until you've had your hour of bassoon practice. You made a promise to the Internet and it was a New Year's Resolution so it meant more."

No.

I'm going to type some stupid goal on here and you're not even going to care and then I'm going to do it faithfully for exactly 13 days and then I'm never going to even think about it again until next year when I'll read back on this and feel like a failure. New Year's Resolutions were designed by cosmetic companies to make girls feel bad about themselves so they'll buy more mascara to make up for years of failure.

(I decided to go with the revolt, because I can't think of a resolution.)

6 comments:

Steven Cain said...

There you go.

Jen Glen said...

The New Year's Resolution I was thinking about making it, I failed to do the very first day...so I quickly squashed that one and once again chided myself for the fact that I know I'm not a good goal setter, why do I bother? Maybe the every day I wanted to do will simply be more than I usually do. I like vague goals. They're harder to pinpoint if you've failed! ;)

magdalena said...

I'm with you.

Unknown said...

Ha. This made me laugh and laugh. You're the best. And I totally know how it feels to break a resolution. It's January for crying out loud! Now is the month for onsies and hot chocolate while curling up under a quilt and watching Disney movies, not the gym! What a stupid time to start a new year!

Suzy Krause said...

Vague goals for 2015:

Don't ever...do some things...that might not be considered...the best for life.
Always...do other stuff...that could be advantageous or beneficial...or maybe fun...

Suzy Krause said...

Those are resolutions I could get behind!