Saturday, August 29, 2015

Here's Looking at You, Montreal




I was thinking about being something else. I thought that, if it were an option, I would either want to be a bird or a large-scale artist. Someone who could fly or someone who could paint really big pictures. Both of those things seem pretty magical to me.

But if I were made to choose between the two (no one has ever presented me with this choice as of yet, but I'll let you know if/when it happens), I guess I'd probably pick artist. Because artists, though not feathered or especially aerodynamic, can fly with the help of pilots and planes. Birds cannot, no matter how hard they try, paint a picture.

So, yes. An artist. An artist who goes on airplanes very often.

I love murals. I love graffiti. I love colourful cities with pictures and paint instead of plain brick and cement. I love the feeling of being in an art gallery without having to pay money or worry about keeping my voice down.

Montreal satisfied that in me. There were pictures on everything. Art everywhere.

I kept saying, "This one is my favourite."

I said it about every one.




The next best thing to feeling like you're in an art museum when you're not is actually being in an art museum. Especially if no one makes you pay any money for it.

Which brings me to my next point: if you hit up Montreal and you're 30 or under, you can go inside the Musee de Beaux Arts for free. And you should. (This is the last year Barclay and I can go in for free together. He turned 30 the day we were at the museum, actually. Fun facts.)