Friday, January 01, 2016

I Always Wake Up On January 1 With That Death Cab Song in My Head

2016. You guys, it's finally the future.

(Oh man, how has it been 16 years since Y2K? I told a kid about the Y2K bug the other day and they thought I was making the whole thing up.)

Y2K.

Anyway, it's the first day of the new year, so of course I had to sit down and get all my profundities out. Recap this past year, make some resolutions, whatever whatever. Blogger stuff.

2015.

I'm not sure where to begin, so I'll just do what I always do when I'm trying to describe something really big and abstract and conceptual:

If 2015 were a person, it would be a woman.

(Personification is a bit of a crutch for me, I've realized.)

She would have brown hair and dark-rimmed glasses - because she'd be a tad near-sighted. She'd be kind of business-y, but still fun. Like, she'd wear high heels, but when her feet got sore she'd kick them off and run around barefoot. She'd be efficient and motivated and her intense personality would rub off at least a little on everyone around her. In that way, at least, she'd make us all better people for knowing her. She'd be a bit emotional, and at times she'd freak right out and make weird choices. But, you know, that's what would make 2015 human.

So I wouldn't think of her as being even-keeled and mature like 2014, but she also wouldn't be unpredictable and erratic like 2013. She'd be a little quieter, a little more self-assured. She wouldn't sprint, like some years do; she'd walk at a fairly brisk pace but I feel like I could keep up with her. Warmer, definitely, than any year that came before her. She'd be the type to give hugs, and I'd like that about her.

Are you rolling your eyes at me? Stop it.


But seriously, 2015 was wonderful. It was a year of friendship, which sounds vague and dumb, but which was actually pretty huge and important for me. I made new friends and reconnected with old ones and got to know some of the ones I already had better and more intentionally. It was something I was praying for last year, a lot, and it was one of those prayers that was answered so completely this year in such random and unexpected ways that I didn't really realize the running theme until I sat down right now to write this. That's cool. That's one of the reasons I like writing things down.

Some of those friends will read this and HEY, YOU (if you think this might be about you, it probably is), you're an answer to prayer and I'm happy about you.

2015 was also a year of starting things and working hard at them and taking them seriously. It was, in a way, a year of gardening - metaphorical gardening, of course, which might be the only kind of gardening I ever do - planting seeds and weeding and watering and waiting. In 2016, I guess I'll see what comes up, if anything. I'm hoping for a lot of sweet flowers, but I also recognize that gardening can be a bit of a trial-and-error-type-thing. So. We'll see.

What else? Oh yeah. In 2015, my baby turned into a grown man who now slouches into the kitchen in the morning scratching his belly and saying, "MOM. ME WANT EAT COFFEE." (I give him water in a coffee cup and this is acceptable.) Basically, he's a mini Barclay, which is fine by me because I really like Barclay and don't mind having two of him. Motherhood still feels really new and surprising to me, but in a more comfortable way now, if that makes sense. We're having a lot of fun over here.

I could say a lot more about 2015, about trips and shows and projects and people and writing and stuff, but these posts tend to ramble on and become a little self-serving (I guess they start out that way too, but maybe it's just that it's harder to forgive the longer they get). Plus, nap time is over. So I'll just say Happy New Year and leave it at that.

Happy New Year. 

8 comments:

Unknown said...

You did this well. Your year sounds like someone I would want to be friends with, except for the high heels part. As I duck footed walker, ladies in heel intimidate me because they just seem like they know they are a little better than me. But other than that, she sounds like someone I would like to have over for dinner.

Sarah M said...

Happy new year, Suzy! Hope 2016 is amazing for you.

Suzy Krause said...

Hahahaa, I'm totally intimidated by ladies in heels too. But I also aspire to be one someday; they're so classy. I seriously break a toe every time I try it.

Suzy Krause said...

Happy New Year to you too!!! Cheers!

Unknown said...

So fun to read this, Suzy. I can't wait to see what flowers come out of the ground for you this year, because you are talented and funny and even though we are not 'real life' friends, I believe I can say confidently that you pay attention really well... that's a gift. Happy New Year!

Suzy Krause said...

You're so sweet and encouraging (am I starting to sound like a broken record?). Thanks so much. :D Happy New Year to you too!

Courtney Bates-Hardy said...

Lol! 2015 is almost me! But I stopped wearing heels in 2015 because who needs sore feet when you're busy getting things done!

Suzy Krause said...

Haha! Well then we could be friends, cuz I liked 2015!