Wednesday, December 07, 2016

Nap Time in Vegas...Again

It's "nap time" again, but it's not taking today, because mom jinx is real and I had a brief, happy thought this morning about how easily Sullivan was going down for naps on this trip and also because Barclay's boss is taking us out for supper tonight right at Sullivan's bedtime so he needs his nap EXTRA today. Those are always, always, always the days where a kid suddenly gets an extra burst of adrenaline and decides not to nap. I'm trying to win but it's not looking good. I'm feeling a lot of feelings.

Wait.

I kid you not, he just fell asleep. Right now. Because MOM JINX. I reverse-mom-jinxed myself by writing this blog post! It's a thing!

Barclay doesn't believe in mom jinx. He will. There's time yet.

Anyway, here are all of my pictures from yesterday. We covered a bit more of the strip, Paris and the Bellagio, mostly, and then we wandered up a hallway and found a tram that took us over gleaming, angular, metallic skyscrapers to a magical little place called Crystals, which felt decidedly un-Vegaslike. 

We saw several water features, all created by WET (the same design firm responsible for the famous Bellagio water show and the Mirage volcano) including a little forest of water funnels (hard to explain, cool to see). We also stumbled onto one of the James Turrell exhibits (the other one is hidden in the back of a shoe store and is seeable by appointment only, which was so sad because I've heard so much about it and if I'd known I was going to basically trip over it, I totally would've called ahead...). We wandered through a Chihuly gallery and one featuring Elena Bultova, and then we just walked around outside with our heads tipped back. Architecture! 

And then.

We got back on the tram and went to the Bellagio water show (which Sullivan found quite lacking, to be honest) and who do you think walked past us? You'll never guess.

Spiderman.
AND.
Batman. 

Sullivan did the most adorable little double-take I've ever seen, and then ever so casually whacked me on the leg. "Uh, mom?" he ventured.

"Yeah?"

"Should we hang out with those guys?"

But when they doubled back to say hi to him, he froze up in shyshock and whispered into my ear, "Can you say hi to them for me?"

And then Barclay got out of his conference an hour early so we got pizza. And that was the end of day 2. Or 3, if you count Sunday as a day.

-7 hours later-

Hitting publish on this, as Barclay puts Sully to bed and I chill on the couch with a coffee and chocolate pretzels. It's like Dorothy said in that one movie: there's no place like Vegas, Baby..



No comments: