PREORDER I THINK WE’VE BEEN HERE BEFORE




Friday, January 19, 2018

My Piano on Sticky Notes

A long time ago, back when I was a childless piano teacher, I was in the habit of drawing a picture every morning while I ate breakfast. I don't remember why. I think I just did it one day and enjoyed it so much that I did it the next day too, and then that kept happening.

The first one I did was of the cathedral down the street.
I did my little drawings on sticky notes. I drew things I saw around me, or things I had pictures of. I drew chandeliers and lamps and birthday candles. Very simple drawings, with a very nice pen that Barclay bought me for my birthday (it was almost $5! A very nice pen). The point was speed, not accuracy, and to not allow myself to correct mistakes or start over. I think a little drawing usually took about 30 minutes. A cup of coffee. And then I went off and cleaned something or got lessons ready or whatever.

And then I didn't do it anymore. I can't remember the why of that, either.

Today, I remembered how nice it felt to start every day like that. So, while Sully watched Peanuts cartoons, I drew my piano. I almost crumpled it up five times, but I made myself stick to my own rules, even though they're super old and outdated. It was fun, and here it is:


7 comments:

Sew On See Forth YQR said...

Yay! I love your doodles. The tv one (ones?) were my fave back in the day. I lovw that being creative every day is soothing. I'm trying to get sewing or crafting in every day for this reason. I feel relaxed and inspired and calm and productive on the days I make something with my hands. There is a guy who doodles monsters out of his coffee cup stains every morning. I think it is literally called coffeemonsters on Instagram.

Sew On See Forth YQR said...

Update: @thecoffeemonsters is the coffee stain doodle guy...

Paul Grzesina said...

I'm almost convinced that I should do something like this. It probably wouldn't involve sticky notes though.

Michelle said...

This is amazing. So much cooler than the time I made a mural of post-its on my bedroom wall in college.

Suzy Krause said...

Aw! Thank you!
And I agree; it's cool that being creative is actually...healthy. I like that people are wired that way.
Also: the coffee monsters guy is awesome.

Suzy Krause said...

DO IT.

Suzy Krause said...

innnnnteresting. I'd love to see a picture of that.