Monday, April 09, 2018

Lost: One Engagement Ring

I lost my engagement ring on Saturday—and it was soldered to my wedding band, so I lost that too. If I'm being honest with you, which I always am as far as you know, I'm not all that surprised about it. This has been a fear of mine for the past nine years, since Barclay first slipped the little sapphire onto my ring finger. I remember thinking to myself in that moment: Wow, it's so beautiful, and I'm getting married, and I'm going to lose this for sure.

The part that is surprising is that I don't feel too panicky about it; in fact, I'm fairly certain it's somewhere in my house, and that I'll stumble across it at any moment. So certain, in fact, that I spent a couple of hours today tearing the place apart. Calmly. Calmly tearing the place apart. Because I don't feel panicky. Nope. Not at all.

Related: I found a lot of things today. 100 bobby pins, for example. A tape measure that I needed last week but not this week. Two pink wedges from the Trivial Pursuit game. A pretty necklace that doesn't belong to me. Almost seven dollars in loose change.

Seven dollars! Exciting!

I came into the kitchen, where Barclay and Sullivan were setting up a board game, jingling my change purse and wiggling my eyebrows all over the place. "Check it out!" I said excitedly. "I found seven bucks!"

"But not your ring?" asked Barclay. Spoilsport.

Anyway. I don't have much else to tell you. I've heard a billion stories about people losing rings and finding them in crazy places years later, so if you have one of those, you may share it with me to bolster my spirits (not that my spirits need bolstering; I'm calm, remember? So calm).

:(

8 comments:

Paul Grzesina said...

I believe my mom lost the diamond from her engagement ring in the garden and managed to find it later and get it reset. If she can find the diamond, I'm sure you can find the ring - especially if you stay calm about it.

Kjersti said...

My mom lost her diamond after a day at the ball diamonds. Ha. Anyway, Johanna and I tried to look for it out there with a metal detector that evening. (So sweet and useless.) Randomly, about a week later, we all returned from errands to find the diamond in a ziplock bag on the island...no explanation, no note, nothing. We still don't know how or who or where.

Unknown said...

Kjells mom lost her ring in the river at camp. I think it showed up but years later

Rachel Del said...

Dom lost his wedding ring the week after we got married at a job site (he was still in construction then). Thankfully, it wasn't too expensive. We ordered him a new one. Then, by some miracle, he found his ring in a bucket of nuts and bolts at the job site. He then, within the next 3 months, dropped his replacement ring down the seat of the car and it was never recovered. We sold that car two years ago--it still makes me laugh.

I'm sorry you lost your ring :(

Suzy Krause said...

These stories about people finding SINGLE DIAMONDS. Amazing.

Suzy Krause said...

I REMEMBER THIS. SO WEIRD. ALL CAPS WEIRD. I WANT TO KNOW (Paul Harvey voice) THE REST OF THE STORY.

Suzy Krause said...

I remember this too!!!! Just incredible.

Suzy Krause said...

That's crazy!!! I love how often people end up recovering lost rings. It's actually incredible.