Thursday, November 02, 2023

Immortalized in Newsprint

About eight years ago, I pulled off a very nice parallel park on McIntyre Street. There were two older gentlemen sitting in lawn chairs on the side of the road right in front of my parking spot and they applauded as I exited my vehicle. No one minds being clapped for, and so began a weird little friendship. I saw them every single Tuesday, until one day they just weren’t there anymore and I never saw them again. 

Sometimes I’ll drive down McIntyre Street and glance at their spot, wondering if one or both of them might reappear, but they haven’t yet. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to write about them and send my little story to The Globe and Mail, as one does, and today it was in the paper.

The best part about the whole thing is the sweet little illustration accompanying the article, by someone named Marley Allen-Ash. There’s me, hanging out of my nicely-parked car! There’s Sully, grinning in the front seat even though he is only two and shouldn’t really be in the front seat, Marley! And there are Harold and Harv, my good friends who I will probably never see again but who are now immortalized in newsprint with Sully and me and their sweet old dog.

You can read it here.

No comments: