Thursday, June 02, 2011

{SCHMALTZ DAY: my waterfall}

it's schmaltz day. a day for reminiscence of the sappiest kind.

so here is the randomly selected photo:


this is my waterfall and i.

i think i have more pictures of us around here somewhere...


i spent a summer living in the mountains, working at a little cafe attached to an old coal mine. i had a lake in my backyard and mountains in the front and often went kayaking or spelunking or exploring or something when i wasn't serving up soup and coffee. i had miscellaneous adventures involving air mattresses on white water rapids, and wrecking old trucks, and climbing ice walls with no ice on them in the middle of the night, and a particularly frightening bike accident.


and when i wasn't doing any of those things, i was climbing all over my waterfall, a book or my Bible or a notebook in tow. i even wrote a pretty cheesy two-page poem about the water "breaking apart and falling together, seamless like skin", and also about the ants who lived there at the edge of it. schmaltzy, i know.


i was going through a phase, or something. that was back before emo was screamo and {i think} it was ok to be all melodramatic about waterfalls.

what?

23 comments:

amyschmamey said...

Beautiful waterfall. I would be so scared to sit on the edge like that. You brave soul! ha. I like schmaltz day. :) I think it's ok to be melodramatic about waterfalls... what? ha. :)

Suzy Krause said...

hahah i'm glad you don't think i'm a big cheese. even though i am. also i'm glad that you think i'm brave. i'm not.

Courtney Bates-Hardy said...

you should post the waterfall poem!

Suzy Krause said...

hahaha i don't know if i'm that brave! i admire how brave you are to post yours...

Amy @ AGirlCalledBeloved said...

so beautiful! I can see why it is "yours".
And I love the line of your poem. Very schmaltzy indeed!

Suzy Krause said...

:) thanks amy!

Ed said...

Was this in the Rockies? It kinda sorta reminds me of Maligne Canyon or something like that...

Suzy Krause said...

yep! it's on the highway between banff and jasper. :)

Ashlee said...

B-e-a-utiful! I wish I lived near a waterfall. I live near a swamp, like Shrek. Oy.

Suzy Krause said...

sigh. i miss it. i live near man-made lakes now.

Chess said...

I'm all about waterfalls. I wish there were some nearby. :)

Chess said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suzy Krause said...

you should build one in your back yard.

Jamie said...

Hi! My friend Larissa (lalaalovely) told me that I need to follow your blog. She was right. I like it a lot. I also freaking love your post it note pictures. So unique! =]

fillmyheartup.blogspot.com

Suzy Krause said...

aw! thanks jamie. :D i'm gonna go check yours out.

Liz said...

I think you should post the poem, too ;)
The waterfall is beautiful, and I'm jealous that you got to live by so much "outdoors."
I'm from San Antonio, so it's mostly made up of roads and buildings.. ha

Suzy Krause said...

hahaha i'm just not brave enough to post poetry! someday. maybe in two years.
and yes. i miss my outdoors...

Unknown said...

That's gorgeous! I've never been to a waterfall- we don't have that many in Australia - but on my to-do-list for sure now :).

Suzy Krause said...

you absolutely should. they're maybe my favourite nature thing. right up there with the ocean.

RIPplePuddle said...

Suzy! Get away from that edge! I just had heart palpitations looking at your picture.
I don't know what it is about heights. From the time I was little, I've felt drawn to fall...as though inertia has more strength than I do.
And that's why I don't sit on the edge of waterfalls.
But I secretly envy anyone that can.
It makes me think they have a strong sense of self.

Suzy Krause said...

haha, i don't know about a strong sense of self. i think that that summer i was a little bit more brave than usual. in a lot of ways. i wonder if i'd still stand on the edge if i went back today...

JTay said...

I wish we had a waterfall here. And a mountain (just one would do). And a real crystal clear lake, like out west. Ah well.

Suzy Krause said...

ME TOO. if i'd known you back in the day, you could've come and visited my waterfall.