Friday, June 03, 2011

{problem}

i'm really bad at keeping in touch with people, because i'm tired of the phone.

i like doing two activities at a time, one that involves my mind, and one that involves my hands. the problem with the phone is that it involves your mind AND a hand, but not in a way that your hand is necessarily busy, just in a way that your hand is taken.

it's like missing an arm. i can't handle it. i don't know what to do with my free hand. i walk around the house, up and down the stairs; i sit, i stand, i attempt to cradle the phone in between my shoulder and head and wash dishes; i give up when the noise from the running water drowns out my conversation. i get distracted by the paintings on the walls and the books on the shelf and the patterns in the laminate flooring.

the conversation dies.

i had rigged a hands-free phone system of sorts last year, but it started to give me a headache.

rats.

there is a growing need in my personal life for a tele-transportation device of some kind, or a cheap jet.

15 comments:

Amy @ AGirlCalledBeloved said...

this is me.
at work.
all the time.
hate it.

Chess said...

The crick in the neck is almost not worth it.

Anonymous said...

ME TOO!!! I just don't like talking on phones! If you're having an in-person conversation, sometimes silences are ok, but silence on a phone conversation and all I can think is, man I guess I should hang up now...but the minute I hang up, I always think of something else I wanted to say to that person! Dang!

Suzy Krause said...

chess: what do you mean, "almost"? it's not. teleportation all the way!

crystal: THAT is why we need to hang out in person! say...july? :D

amyschmamey said...

I HATE TALKING ON THE PHONE TOO. Not for the same reason, but seriously! I hate it. And why? It's really not THAT bad. But I do. I hate it. I'd rather text... or walkie talkie.

sarahannnoel said...

Yes. I pretty much only like to talk on the phone when I am driving. And that is not particularly safe.

Suzy Krause said...

amyschmamey: I LOVE WALKIE TALKIES!

sarah: haha, it's not even legal here. sigh. but i would agree with you, i don't mind it when i'm driving cuz then i'm still multitasking.

Anonymous said...

I really only like talking on the phone when I really like who I'm talking TO. Otherwise I really don't want to talk/text/message at ALL.

Suzy Krause said...

that's how it started. but now i hate talking to anyone on the phone. though, there are people who i'd rather talk to on the phone than not at all, so i suck it up.

Lydia said...

I hate talking on the phone too. I much prefer texting. I get distracted on the phone. Sometimes, I even forget I am on the phone. Which makes things really awkward.

Suzy Krause said...

haha! can't say i've ever done THAT. but that's awesome. i've fallen asleep on the phone.

Liz said...

I ONLY call people when I'm driving. And that's pretty much the only time that I answer... I'm like you- I have to multitask. When I paint, I watch a movie. When I watch a movie, I blog or do laundry. My hands are constantly having to be occupied. I'll probably have horrible arthritis or something. Ha

Suzy Krause said...

ooh. arthritis. i never even thought of that. rats for both of us.

Hannah Joy said...

ooooh, I cannot express to a large enough extent how much I hate talking on the phone. And I'm a receptionist so I realllly should work on that. I also have this problem with forgetting how short the chord is and walking away too fast, knocking it to the ground. One day it will shatter to pieces and I will feel just terrible.

Suzy Krause said...

hahaha it makes me laugh how many receptionists hate talking on the phone. i was a receptionist once. and once, i was a debt collector. both pretty phone-heavy jobs. no good.