Friday, February 22, 2013

{abner & the volcanic crater of free time}

Photobucket I've been distracted. I've been working more, filling out applications for exciting events, booking flights, having crazy ideas, keeping secrets, running around, having adventures, putting myself out there, doing scary things, enjoying the hilarity and awkwardness and challenges and just trying to keep that dang kitchen clean in the midst of all of it.

The kitchen is the messiest room in the house, always. You eat a bagel and suddenly there's a stack of dishes and spaghetti sauce running down the front of the fridge and, like, living things under the sink. I don't know how it happens.

But this morning I woke up and found some plans suddenly switched and a spare chunk of time opening up before me like a yawning volcanic crater in an apocalyptic movie. I jumped in with no hesitation. I put on some coffee. I put on some music. I read some blogs I've been missing. I drew a picture of a dinosaur on post-it notes and named him Abner: King of First Impressions and Crokinole.

I still have lots to do today, and I will get around to it in exactly nine minutes. But this is so, so nice.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Abner and I should become friends.

MySpecialAgent said...

I love unexpected free time. And I like Abner, too!

Anonymous said...

Crokinole is the BEST!
- Erika

Caitlin said...

Can I just come, like, live in your house? And hang out with you?

the best part of my day... said...

Yeah, free time. Kinda scary sometimes. I hear ya. Good for you for tackling the kitchen, girl!

Amy M. said...

Goodness! I've been like that! The scary things, running around, secrets part. Feels good to have some out in the open like the new blog! That was a tough one to keep. Booking flights sounds fun! Now I'm curious where you are going and also why you saw Bob Saget because you know...that's cool. Glad you got a good relax day. And Abner reminds me of Albie, the one from Flight of the Concords. But Abner sounds nicer. ;)
xo, Amy
hearttoshutter.com
(formerly girlcalledbeloved.com)

Suzy Krause said...

totally.

Suzy Krause said...

mmhm! unexpected being the key word. like when you think a day is going to be crazy busy and then just one thing gets cancelled...ahhhhhh....

Suzy Krause said...

i agree. we have a board, come play it with me sometime!

Suzy Krause said...

well ok!

Suzy Krause said...

haha ughhhh the kitchen. it already needs tackling again.

Suzy Krause said...

haha albie the racist dragon! funny. maybe they're cousins?

Anonymous said...

So since you commented on my blog over the weekend, I'm taking it as a personal compliment that you have been missing my blog. Yay. <3

Also - what is the DEAL with mess in the kitchen?! It's uncontrollable.

Suzy Krause said...

haha, i have been awwwwful at commenting lately. but i'm allllways reading...
creepy.

Megs said...

This is the thing. I love to write. lovelovelovelovelove. Not that I am good at it. But I love it. And sometimes, sometimes I read your blog and am just so awed by your writing. You are good at it, this blogging thing. Yes, indeed. Very good at it. Just saying.

Suzy Krause said...

aw, you're so sweet. and you ARE good at writing. i wouldn't read your blog if you sucked at it. :)