Friday, March 07, 2014

{sullivan's room}


I ordered Sullivan's crib online from Best Buy. When the guy came to drop it off, I was home alone. He had an orange beard. He appeared perpetually confused and exorbitantly bored and looked over my shoulder instead of at my face when he talked to me. He said, "I got a crib or something in the truck for you."  

I smiled. "Awesome," I said. And then we stood there.

He shifted his weight. "I'm going to need some help carrying it in. It's pretty heavy."

"Oh, I'm here alone," I told him apologetically.

He didn't look surprised at this information. "Well, yeah. I just need a little help. It's, like, really heavy."

I looked down at my belly, which was roughly the size of a watermelon. "I'm not really supposed to lift heavy stuff," I said.

Now he looked surprised. "Oh. Are you pregnant?"

I nodded. "That's what the crib's for."


Setting up a room for someone who doesn't exist yet is a weird job. It's not like hosting an exchange student who arrives with bags of clothes and junk to unpack into your drawers and shelves and posters of their favourite bands to hang on your walls with sticky tack. You're getting ready for a naked, possessionless person who doesn't even have a favourite colour yet. You get to decide what their favourite colour is.


So Barclay built bookshelves and I loaded them with all of my favourite books; ones that I grew up reading and ones that I wished I'd grown up reading. We painted little pictures of all the bosses from Megaman II (Barclay's favourite video game) for the wall. We drew wallpaper and I made a mobile and Barclay hung a picture of Rush so that Sullivan will know who Geddy Lee is. I went to the thrift store on Dewdney and bought tiny 99 cent shoes and sweaters to fill the closet. Friends made stuffed animals and blankets for him and added to his miniature wardrobe. We didn't have a rug so I laid down the quilt I made for picnics instead.


Nurseries are more for parents than they are for babies, I think. Hopefully he digs it too, though.


16 comments:

stephanie clara said...

Well, it's beautiful.
He must have felt immediately at home.

stephanie

JTay said...

I love it!! And I agree, nurseries are more for parents than babies. I loved sitting in Micah's room, rocking him. Though by the time he was two he cared a lot more about that stuff than I expected. Having a room that was carefully thought out and full of lovely things actually meant a lot to him. What a special 'loved' room for your little boy!

Niken said...

i think you and Barclay have done a great job! i love the room. and i think you're right. nursery is more to the parents. i really love the last 2 pictures :) i also think it's gonna be a lovely memory too to decorate your baby room based on you and Barclay's favorites. one day, when he grew up, Sullivan can learn some things about his parents through his nursery room.

Nova said...

That's such a nice room. I like how classic and simple it looks. And all that natural light too. <3

Caitlin said...

Nurseries are DEFINITELY more for the parents. I mean I don't remember my childhood room being anything remotely pinnable - my mom had a crib that my older sister used and a cross-stitch she made and that was it. That doesn't mean it isn't fun though :) I love his room, very simple and totally grow-into-able if that makes sense (probably doesn't).

I can't wait until we get to do this :)

Jen Wilson said...

That is the coolest baby room I've ever seen.

the best part of my day... said...

Sullivan is a lucky little boy ;-)

Anonymous said...

How could he not dig it?!!? It's so fabulous!! And goodness me, those tiny shoes make my heart melt. Also, aren't kids books just the best?!

Suzy Krause said...

thank you!

Suzy Krause said...

aw, that's such a fun stage to look forward to! sullivan doesn't seem to be too impressed by anything...

Suzy Krause said...

thanks niken!! that's what i'm hoping..

Suzy Krause said...

i love the nice big window... gonna be wonderful in the spring...

Suzy Krause said...

soon!!! you'll love it. or else you'll be overwhelmed by everyone else's owl pinterest boards and not know what to do. (that was me.)

Suzy Krause said...

aw garsh! thanks.

Suzy Krause said...

haha well thanks!

Suzy Krause said...

yes. kids books are my faaaaavorite.